Some facts about the weight-for-age Group One Manikato Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on Friday night.
* Originally known as the Freeway Stakes and renamed in 1984 after champion sprinter Manikato who won the race in 1979 and 1982.
* First contested in 1968 and won by Winfreux.
* Notable past winners of the coveted sprint include Vain (1969), Dual Choice (1970-71), Century (1972), Tauto (1973-74), Manikato, Strawberry Road (1983), Rubiton (1987), Dane Ripper (1998), Redoute’s Choice (1999), Sunline (2000), Spinning Hill (2002-03), Spark Of Life (2004-05), Miss Andretti (2006), Gold Edition (2007), ay List (2010).
* Horses to win the Manikato and the Cox Plate in the same year: Strawberry Road (1983), Rubiton (1987) and Sunline (2000).
* Trainers Bob Hoysted and Bart Cummings have won the race four times each. Hoysted scored with Scamanda (1976), Manikato (1979 and 1982) and Touch Of Genius (1985) and Cummings with Century (1972), Lord Dudley (1975), Never Undercharge (1993) and Dane Ripper (1998).
* Jockeys riding in this year’s race who have won it before: Darren Beadman – Happy Zero (Spartacus 1997); Damien Oliver – Atomic Force (Sonic Express 1991, Dane Ripper 1998); Nash Rawiller – More Joyous (Piavonic 2001, Typhoon Zed 2008); Kerrin McEvoy – Sepoy (Danleigh 2009).
* Trainers with runners who have won it before: John Hawkes trained the 1994 winner Spanish Mix and, training in partnership with his sons Michael and Wayne, will be represented by Happy Zero this year.