Some facts about the Group One $500,000 Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m) to be run at Flemington on Saturday.
* Formerly known as the Ascot Vale Stakes and upgraded to Group One for the first time in 2006 when won by Gold Edition.
* The Ascot Vale Stakes was first run in its current format as a race for three-year-olds with set weights and penalties in 1969 and was won by Vain, prior to that it was a race for two-year-olds.
* Bart Cummings won consecutive Ascot Vales with Century (1972) and Taj Rossi (1973) with the latter being the first three-year-old to break 1:10.
* Champion sprinter Manikato broke Taj Rossi’s record in 1978 carrying 57.5kg in a time of 1:09.6.
* Filly Rose Of Kingston (1981) went on to win the AJC Derby (2400m) the following year.
* Courtza won the 1989 Blue Diamond and the Golden Slipper before going on to win the Ascot Vale in the same year.
* In 1995 New Zealander Our Maizcay set a race record of 1:08.2 which still stands.
* Only five horses contested the 1999 race with 50-1 shot Spargo upsetting the favourite Testa Rossa.
* Notable winners include: Vain (1969); Century (1972); Taj Rossi (1973); Toy Show (1975); Surround (1976); Manikato (1978); Rose Of Kingston (1981); Rancher (1982); Campaign King (1985); Zeditave (1988); Courtza (1989); Our Maizcay (1995); Alinghi (2004); Gold Edition (2006); Weekend Hussler (2007); Northern Meteor (2008); Star Witness (2010).
* Trainers with a runner on Saturday who have won the race before: Gerald Ryan – Hot Snitzel (Racer’s Edge 1994); Danny O’Brien – Adamantium (Ferocity 2005, Star Witness 2010); Clarry Conners – Satin Shoes (Tierce 1991).
* Jockeys who have won the race before with a ride on Saturday: Kerrin McEvoy – Sepoy (Innovation Girl 2002); Craig Williams – Masthead (Show No Emotion 1997); Nash Rawiller – Foxwedge (Northern Meteor 2008, So Gorgeous 2000); Steven Arnold – Zamorar (Ferocity 2005, Scaredee Cat 2003).