A special race day at Randwick to raise funds for those affected by bushfires is expected to realise $100,000 in sponsorships and other initiatives.
Racing NSW and the Australian Turf Club have joined forces in the appeal on January 25 which is in addition to $500,000 Racing NSW is distributing to participants directly affected by the fires.
Initiatives on Carrington Stakes day include:
* Sponsorship funds dedicated to the appeal
* ATC Foundation will donate $10,000 to support those affected by the fires
* Racing NSW will also donate $10,000 to support those affected by the fires
* Donation collection buckets will be at all remaining Sydney meetings in January
* Free entry on January 25 to all RFS and other volunteers helping with the fires
* Race naming rights will be sold off with all funds raised supporting the cause
* Signed memorabilia from that day such as jockey’s silks and saddle cloths with be auctioned off raising further funds
“Racing always pulls together in times of need and from Racing NSW, ATC Members and staff, jockeys, strappers and trainers on the ground, everyone is keen for us to help and we are keen to do so,” ATC chief executive Jamie Barkley said.
Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys said that the initiatives came on top of the emergency funding relief package for owners, trainers, jockeys, track riders, stablehands and other participants affected by the bushfires on the NSW South Coast.
The governing body is also providing inancial support to ensure that all horses are being fed and cared for.
“Our priority first and foremost has been to look after our industry participants, but we are also determined to support the overall bushfire relief cause in this time of crisis,” V’landys said.