Some facts about the Group One $350,000 Galaxy (1100m) to be run at Randwick on Saturday.
* First staged in 1972 and won by Playbill.
* Notable past winners of the race include Bletchingly (1975), Wayne’s Bid (1976), Luskin Star (1978), Mistress Anne (1979), Hit It Benny (1980), Grey Receiver (1981-82), Snippets (1988), Schillaci (1992), Spark Of Life (2004), Charge Forward (2005).
* Peter Cook holds the record for riding the most winners: Kista (1973), Salaam (1977) and Snippets (1988).
* Jockeys to have a ride in Saturday’s race and a Galaxy win: Damien Oliver – Eagle Falls (Magnus 2007, Schillaci 1992); Craig Williams – Ortensia (Nicconi 2009); Jim Cassidy – News Alert (Potrero 1990) Glen Boss – Sister Madly (Mistegic 2002); Tim Clark – Atomic Force (Typhoon Zed 2008).
* Trainers with runners on Saturday and a Galaxy win: Gai Waterhouse – Swift Alliance (Snowland 2003); David Hayes – Eagle Falls (Nicconi 2009); Peter Moody – Avenue (Magnus 2007); John O’Shea – Solar Charged (Charge Forward 2005).
* Grey Receiver won the race for the Max Wiggins stable in 1981 then won for Bob Thomsen in 1982, beating the flyer Razor Sharp on both occasions.
* Only five fillies or mares have won the Galaxy and the first to succeed was the Syd Brown-trained Kista in 1973. Subsequent femal winners were Starglow (1974), Mistress Anne (1979), Bronze Spirit (1983) and La Baraka in 1998.
* Ortensia “won” the 2010 Galaxy but was subsequently disqualified after testing positive to a prohibited substance. She will be out to rectify that on Saturday.