Watch Live Racing FREE!
Sign-up now and Watch every Race Live and Free on your Phone!
Best Odds with Top Tote+ and Bet Back Offers!
Register at Australia's #1 Online Bookmaker!
Price Boosts, Racing Backups, Fluc Up!
Sign-Up to Australia's Fastest Growing Online Bookmaker!
Odds Boosts, Racing Offers, Massive MULTIS!
Sign-up and start betting with Ladbrokes in 2 minutes!
Best Of The Best Odds!
Bet With Palmerbet and get Paid Top Fluc or Top Tote!!
*Conditions Apply. Excl VIC, NSW, SA & WA. Gamble Responsibly

British Horseracing Authority chief executive Nick Rust has defended the six-day shutdown and says it was necessary to get a “clear picture” of the equine flu outbreak.

The BHA announced late on Monday that racing would resume on Wednesday after cancelling all events in the wake of positive tests at Donald McCain’s yard in north-west England.

Six horses trained by McCain returned positive tests last week, with a further four at Simon Crisford’s Newmarket stable also found to be suffering with the illness on Sunday, but Rust says it is now safe to resume.

Speaking at a press conference in London on Tuesday morning, he said: “The decision last week was taken with a set of circumstances that suggested to us that we should lock down racing for several days so we could have a clear picture of the circumstances around the outbreak.

“There is an unprecedented level of equine flu at the moment, that was one of the considerations.

“We were concerned about the threat of this and the impact and disruption it would have on racing in the longer term if we didn’t understand it fully.

“We have done several thousand tests since then, swabs from 140-odd stables from across the country.

“We are pleased it is contained to two yards and that, under certain controls, we can return to racing.

“We didn’t want to take any risks with future race meetings and with all known advice, we took the decision we did in the best interests of returning to racing.”

Racing will now take place at Kempton, Musselburgh, Plumpton and Southwell as planned on Wednesday, but special measures will be in place.

Chief regulatory officer Brant Dunshea outlined the protocols for what the BHA has described as “risk-managed return” to racing.

“Security measures will include all horses being required to submit a health declaration, that the horse has shown no symptoms of equine flu in the last 14 days,” he said.

“That documentation will need to be with BHA officials at the racecourse before the horse can be unloaded.

“All horses running will be required to have been vaccinated six months before the race day – this will increase the level of immunity by ensuring the vaccinations mitigate horses contracting the virus.

“There will be ongoing monitoring and surveillance by our welfare officers, in addition to that we will be requiring any runners coming in from overseas to provide documentation of a negative test inside the last 72 hours.

“We had to adopt a pragmatic approach.

“What we are comfortably satisfied with is that we have got sufficient measures in place to understand what has happened with the disease and how to contain and control it. That is fundamental in terms of the key principles we must follow.

“Our team has worked tirelessly, around the clock over the last six days to understand what is happening and make this decision today possible.

“We are going through the process of risk-assessing every yard to enable our staff to categorise each of the yards when considering entries in the coming days.”

 
Tags:
Featured News

Free List of the Best Racing Bets and Bonus Offers

We take a look at the BIGGEST and BEST Free Daily Racing Offers and Betting Promotions from Australia’s leading online...

Stewards overturn photo finish result

Queensland Racing Stewards have overturned the result of a photo finish at Yeppoon from July. The QRIC stewards have overturned...

Mystic Journey’s trainer inundated with derogatory messages

Mystic Journey’s trainer Adam Trinder has spoken out about the derogatory calls, emails and text messages he has received after...

Watch: Is Pinatubo the Best 2YO ever seen?

Godolphin colt Pinatubo has produced an astonishing performance to land the Vincent O’Brien National Stakes at the Curragh by nine...

Stable lose a mate in Flemington death

Trainer Jason Warren has posted a heart felt message on Twitter regarding the death of Antah at Flemington on Saturday...

G1 winning jockey Nikita Beriman retires

G1 winning jockey Nikita Beriman has announced her retirement. The TAB National Jockeys Trust luncheon provided a significant revelation to...

Failed drug test cover up rocks US horse racing

A cover up of a failed drug test has this morning rocked the US horse racing industry. The New York...

Australian Bookmaker Reviews

Which bookmaker should you bet with? We Review each of the leading online Australian Bookmakers and rate them in order...

 
 
Copyright © 2019 Just Horse Racing.
All rights reserved - Privacy Policy

Gamble Responsibly 18+
*State exclusions apply to some offers. Please check T&Cs of each offer with the bookmaker. All Offers Exclude NSW residents.