Australian Guineas winner Lunar Fox is one of five horses that have been revealed as wildcard entries for the world’s richest mile race, The All-Star Mile at The Valley.
Racing Victoria on Monday evening announced the five remaining places in the 15-horse field that will compete for all star mile.
Joining Lunar Fox will be Star Of The Seas, who earned a start courtesy of his win in the Blamey Stakes (1600m) at Flemington on Saturday, dual Group 1 winning mare Shout The Bar, Cox Plate fourth placegetter Mugatoo and C F Orr Stakes winner Streets Of Avalon.
On February 19, RV announced the top 10 as voted on by the public with Perth mare Arcadia Queen the top scorer with more than 15,000 votes.
Heading into the third running of The All-Star Mile, RV is delighted with the shape of the field.
“There is a blend of established brilliance and fairytale stories among the field for this year’s race as we’ve become accustomed to over the first two years of Australia’s only fan voted race,” RV Executive General Manager – Racing, Greg Carpenter, said.
“With the addition of the wildcards, The All-Star Mile 2021 field now boasts nine individual Group 1 winners and the first five Australasian-trained horses home in this season’s centenary Cox Plate to underline its quality.
“The inaugural All-Star Mile was won by Australian Guineas winner Mystic Journey, while Superstorm was runner-up in both races last year, so we are really pleased to have three-year-old Lunar Fox in the race and know that he brings a proven formline.”
The field for the All-Star Mile 2021, as chosen by the public vote and wildcard panel, is as follows:
- Arcadia Queen (WA, Grant & Alana Williams)
- Behemoth (SA, David Jolly)
- Probabeel (NZ, Jamie Richards)
- Still A Star (TAS, Bill Ryan)
- Greysful Glamour (NSW, Mark Newnham)
- Russian Camelot (VIC, Danny O’Brien)
- Regalo Di Gaetano (SA, Richard & Chantelle Jolly)
- The Harrovian (QLD, Toby & Trent Edmonds)
- Sir Dragonet (VIC, Ciaron Maher & David Eustace)
- Mr Quickie (VIC, Phillip Stokes)
- Lunar Fox (VIC, Paul Preusker)
- Mugatoo (NSW, Kris Lees)
- Shout The Bar (NSW, Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott)
- Star of the Seas (NSW, Chris Waller)
- Streets of Avalon (VIC, Shane Nichols)
Final acceptances will be taken at 10am (AEDT) next Tuesday, 9 March with the emergencies to be declared thereafter and the barrier draw conducted later that day.
Written by Craig Brennan