The Victorian State Government has given the given light for a crowd of up to 10,000 people to attend the Melbourne Cup at Flemington.
While the numbers are well short of the crowds that usually flock to the four-day carnival at Flemington, it will be a major boost for the VRC after a crowdless Melbourne Cup Carnival last year.
VRC Chairman Neil Wilson said the Club was pleased to be at the forefront for the reopening of events across Victoria once the state has achieved 80% vaccinations.
“The VRC sincerely thanks the Victorian Government, Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula, Racing Victoria and the broader industry for their support of our event plan and their endorsement of the Melbourne Cup Carnival as a major event for Victoria and Australia,” Wilson said.
VRC chief executive Steve Rosich said the Club was ready to host a COVID-safe event across the three days which will utilise the Club’s numerous hospitality venues and expansive grounds.
“We will now work with the Victorian Government to fully understand the event requirements for the VRC and attendees, and we will execute our plans accordingly,” Rosich said.
“We will share further information with our members, partners, owners and the public as soon as possible and by October 15 at the latest.”