Some facts about the $500,000 Group One Epsom Handicap (1600m) to be run at Randwick on Saturday.
* Named after the famous racecourse in the south of England where the Epsom Derby has been run since 1780.
* The Epsom was first run in 1865 when won by Dundee.
* Regarded as one of the most sought after “mile” races in Australia and has been won by some of the country’s finest horses including Amounis (1926, 1928), Nightmarch (1929), Chatham (1932-33), Shannon (1945), Noholme (1959), Sky High (1961), Toi Port (1963-64), Cabochon (1967), Gunsynd (1971), Triton (1972), Dalmacia (1982), Super Impose (1990-91), Filante (1996), Shogun Lodge (2000), Desert War (2004, 2005), Racing To Win (2006), Theseo (2008).
* Dundee proved his win in the inaugural Epsom was no fluke when he completed the Randwick mile double with success in the first Doncaster Handicap in 1866.
* Others to complete the Epsom-Doncaster double in the same season include Marvel (1891-92), Chatham (1933-34), Blue Legend (1946-47), Broker’s Tip (1969-70), Gunsynd (1971-72), Authentic Heir (1975-76) and Super Impose (1990-91).
* The late TJ Smith is the most successful trainer, winning the Epsom seven times with Speed Of Sound (1968), Gunsynd (1971), Lord Nelson (1973), Authentic Heir (1975), Imposing (1979), Bold Diplomat (1980) and Chanteclair (1986).
* Smith’s daughter Gai Waterhouse will be out to join her illustrious father with seven Epsoms after the wins of Iron Horse (1997), Excellerator (2002), Desert War (2004-05), Theseo (2008) and Rock Kingdom (2009). She will be represented on Saturday by More Strawberries, King Lionheart and Light Brigade.
* Three jockeys have won the Epsom four times – J Barden (between 1889-1908), J Munro (1925-1934) and N Sellwood (1947-1956).
* Darren Beadman, Larry Cassidy and Glen Boss are best of the modern-day jockeys with three wins. Beadman scored on Regal Native (1988), Super Impose (1991) and Navy Seal (1994) while Cassidy was successful on Golden Sword (1993), Dodge (1998) and Desert War (2005) and Boss won on Shogun Lodge (2000), Racing To Win (2006) and Captain Sonador (2010).
* Trainers who have won the race in the past with a runner on Saturday: Gai Waterhouse – More Strawberries, King Lionheart, Light Brigade (Iron Horse 1997, Excellerator 2002, Desert War 2004-05, Theseo 2008, Rock Kingdom 2009).
* Jockeys who have won the race with a ride on Saturday: Chris Munce – Red Tracer (Nick’s Joy 1995, Iron Horse 1997); Corey Brown – Foreteller (Clangalang 2003); Jim Cassidy – More Strawberries (Excellerator 2002).
Claim $300 in Bonus Bets when you deposit $250!*