Frankie Dettori has been temporarily banned from riding in France “based on medical grounds”, French racing’s ruling body has announced.
The suspension follows Tuesday’s inquiry at France Galop’s headquarters in Paris into Dettori’s positive test for a banned substance when he was riding at Longchamp on September 16.
A France Galop statement confirmed: “Following yesterday’s examination of the file and after having duly notified the jockey Lanfranco Dettori of its decision, the Medical Committee has temporarily suspended the said jockey from riding in races in France, based on medical grounds.”
The verdict of Tuesday’s medical commission, which consisted of a panel of three doctors, is now being reviewed by France Galop stewards.
The stewards’ verdict on what if any action to take against the legendary rider will be delivered “within the next fortnight … in accordance with the Rules of Racing”, the statement announced.
Dettori, who is probably racing’s most recognisable face, had already been tested six times in England this year, but France Galop insisted that, contrary to some reports, he had not been targeted after they had received a tip-off.
The 41-year-old Italian, whose lawyer has said the substance involved was not performance enhancing, could escape without any further punishment or face a maximum six-month worldwide ban.