Watch Live Racing FREE!
Sign-up now and Watch every Race Live and Free on your Phone!
Australia's BIGGEST and Best Bookmaker!
Sign-Up to Australia's #1 Online Bookmaker!
Price Boosts, Racing Backups, Fluc Up!
Sign-Up to Australia's Fastest Growing Online Bookmaker!
Odds Boosts, Racing Offers, Massive MULTIS!
Sign-up and start betting with Ladbrokes in 2 minutes!
Watch Sky Racing FREE!
Sign-Up and watch Sky Racing For Free on Your Phone!
*Conditions Apply. Excl VIC, NSW, SA & WA. Gamble Responsibly
Image: AAP

The British Horseracing Authority will make a decision late on Monday night on whether racing can resume on Wednesday following the recent outbreak of equine influenza.

The sport was rocked last Wednesday after it emerged three horses – which subsequently rose to six – were found to have the highly-infectious disease at Donald McCain’s stable in Cheshire.

The ruling body quickly enforced a six-day shutdown of racing in Britain and confirmed a call would be made on Monday about whether scheduled fixtures at Southwell, Plumpton, Musselburgh and Kempton could take place on Wednesday.

In the latest update on Monday afternoon, the BHA said no decision should be expected “before 10.30pm at the earliest”, which will allow the industry veterinary committee – which includes representation from the BHA, Animal Health Trust, British Equine Veterinary Association, National Trainers Federation, Racehorse Owners Association, Racecourse Association, Thoroughbred Breeders Association, and independent expertise – “to have access to the most recent evidence”.

“Analysis is ongoing at the AHT, in line with a prioritisation plan based on the potential exposure of horses to a horse that has tested positive (for example at the fixture at Ayr on February 6), or to a horse from a yard returning a positive test,” a statement said.

“Swabs will continue to be collected and tested from other horses, but some have been fast-tracked to help inform this evening’s decision making process.

“Separately, a specific plan is being formed as to what the clearance process will be for individual yards to return to racing. The details of this plan will be confirmed as part of the decision making process for any return to racing.

“Should the decision be taken to return to racing on Wednesday, declarations for any fixtures staged will be at 10am on Tuesday. The BHA would provide further updates regarding the declaration process for any fixtures staged on Thursday and beyond.”

The news appeared positive after 720 initial tests for the virus came back negative on Saturday.

However, although the BHA has revealed approximately 700 further tests carried out on Sunday also returned no other positive samples, there was a blow late on Sunday evening after the BHA announced that four vaccinated horses at the yard of trainer Simon Crisford had been found to have the virus.

Crisford says there is “no obvious connection” between the horses that have tested positive and their stablemate who ran at a potential risk fixture last week.

Crisford was one of the 174 stables to be placed in lockdown because he had a runner at Newcastle last Tuesday – after which trainer Rebecca Menzies, who had also had runners at the meeting, reported a “suspicious” case.

Menzies’ horses have subsequently returned negative results for equine flu, while Crisford confirmed his Newcastle runner, Sajanjl, is also clear of the virus.

 
Featured News

Free List of the Best Racing Bets and Bonus Offers

Just Horse Racing provides readers with a Free list of the best Bonus Bet offers available at every online bookmaker...

Watch: Shocking scenes as race continues despite unconscious jockey

There were some shocking scenes in a race at Nagoya on Friday as a field of runners continued to race...

Ben Currie hit with third big ban

Toowoomba trainer Ben Currie’s time on the sidelines continues to grow after another three-year disqualification, taking his total punishment to...

NSW trainer banned for four years and six months

Trainer Ben Smith has been outed for 4-1/2 years after being found guilty of cobalt and conduct charges. The Group...

The gloves are off between Victoria and NSW

The gloves have come off in the battle between NSW and Victoria over the latest spring racing initiatives which include...

Melbourne Cup now worth $8 million

The Melbourne Cup has received another prize money injection, with the 2019 edition of Australia’s most famous race to be...

Winx used to embarrass Australian racing industry

In one of the most disrespectful, extraordinarily inaccurate headlines ever sent to print, The Guardian Newspaper in England has slammed...

G1 placegetter dies at trackwork

Group One placegetter Libran has sadly died in a trackwork accident on Tuesday in preparation for his run in the...

 
 
 
Copyright © 2019 Just Horse Racing.
All rights reserved - Privacy Policy

Gamble Responsibly 18+
*State exclusions apply to some offers. Please check T&Cs of each offer with the bookmaker. All Offers Exclude NSW residents.