Trainer Grahame Begg has walked away from the Cranbourne trials a relieved man.
He had watched two-year-old Written By score an impressive 800m-trial win, but more important was the notification the colt had passed a barrier test.
The two-year-old was slapped with the ban following his win on heavy ground at Sandown on December 2 after proving difficult to load in the barriers.
That ban was lifted on Monday but it took a lot of work from Begg and horseman Shane Stockdale.
Begg will decide during the week whether Written By runs in the colts and geldings division of the Blue Diamond Prelude at Caulfield on Saturday.
The Group One Blue Diamond Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield on February 24 has been the target for Written By since his Sandown debut, but those plans looked dashed when the two-year-old refused to load for a Mornington jump-out last month.
Begg was planning to start Written By in Saturday’s Chairman’s Stakes at Caulfield won by Ennis Hill which would have given him a three-week lead into the Blue Diamond.
“He’s ticked that box now and we’re ready to go back to the races,” Begg said.
“He’s been nominated for Saturday but we’ll see how he does during the week before deciding whether we accept.
“If he doesn’t run on Saturday he’ll run in the Talindert Stakes at Flemington the following week and then maybe head up to Sydney.
“We’ll get over his first-up run and make a plan from there.”
Begg said it was not his routine to trial on a Monday and back up for a race the following Saturday but Written By was resilient and capable of doing so.
“It didn’t stop (Inglis Premier winner) Kinky Boom on Saturday,” Begg said.
“She trialled in Adelaide and had a trip over to Melbourne so we’ll see how he shapes up.”
The were 19 colts and geldings and 20 fillies nominated on Monday for the two Preludes as the two-year-olds battle for spots in the Blue Diamond which has a field capacity of 16 plus four emergencies.