Racing will resume in France as scheduled despite a last-minute threat to the plan.
A report on Friday suggested a late challenge may be made to the government’s decision to allow racing to return on Monday, with France Galop and its trotting equivalent confirming they had been in discussions regarding the resumption plans.
However, France Galop president Edouard de Rothschild tweeted to confirm clearance had been given for the action to recommence.
“I wanted to win this race more than any of the others. Together we did it! Resumption of races is accepted. Let’s show them that they were right!”, he said.
In the tweet, Rothschild thanked French President Emmanuel Macron, his prime minister and minister of agriculture, as well as former presidential candidate Francois Bayrou and the mayor of Deauville, Philippe Augier.
France Galop echoed those sentiments in a statement issued on Saturday, while the authority also underlined the importance of all participants adhering to the strict hygiene policies in place at all meetings.
“France Galop, LeTROT and the National Federation of horse racing have received the government authorities’ definitive approval for the resumption of racing in France behind closed doors from May 11, in accordance with the program established by the racing authorities,” the statement said.
“The parent companies would like to point out the importance of respecting the barrier gestures at the racecourses and thank everyone involved for following the sanitary procedures to the letter, which is crucial for the resumption of racing.”
Racing has been on hold in France since March due to the coronavirus crisis, but ParisLongchamp, Compiegne and Toulouse will restart the action, with the first-named card boasting four Group races.