The Breeders’ Cup meeting to be run at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California.
* Billed as the world championships of thoroughbred racing, the annual Breeders’ Cup meeting began in 1984 as a seven-race, one-day event with total prize money of $10 million.
* In 2007, the meeting was expanded to 15 races over two days. This year’s prize money will total $28 million from 13 grade one races. The feature race, the Breeders’ Cup Classic, is worth $6 million, making it the richest horse race in North America.
* The inaugural meeting was held at Hollywood Park, California but 12 different tracks have taken turns staging the event. Santa Anita Park will stage the Breeders’ Cup this year for a record ninth time.
* The only horse to win three Breeders’ Cup races is the French mare Goldikova. The only horse to win the Breeders’ Cup Classic twice was Tiznow, in 2000 and 2001.
* The most successful trainer is D. Wayne Lukas, with 20 winners.
* The most successful jockey is Mike Smith, with 22 winners.
* The United States has produced the most Breeders’ Cup winners (232), followed by Ireland (26), Britain (15), France (7), Canada (6), Argentina (5), Japan (1) and Germany (1).