Doubt remains over the fate of the Inglis Millennium meeting but if racing does go ahead, it will be at Warwick Farm.
Racing NSW stewards had nominated Rosehill as a back-up venue if Warwick Farm was washed out, but after inspecting both tracks on Friday, officials deemed Warwick Farm to be safer for racing.
“We’ve looked at both tracks and Warwick Farm presents as the better option,” chief steward Marc Van Gestel said.
“Rosehill has got some areas you wouldn’t currently race over so in that circumstance, I think our best chance of racing will be at Warwick Farm.”
Warwick Farm was rated a heavy 9 on Friday and Van Gestel said there was no surface water and the track was fit for racing in its current condition.
The forecast is for further downpours and stewards will conduct another track inspection on Saturday morning to determine the meeting’s fate.
“It’s just what we get between now and tomorrow as to what the decision will be but at this stage it is OK,” Van Gestel said.
“We’re still relatively hopeful but there’s got to be some doubt there given the forecast.”
Saturday’s nine-race card is a significant meeting boasting the $2 million Inglis Millennium for two-year-olds, the $1 million Inglis Sprint-3YOs (1200m) and two black-type races including the Group Three Eskimo Prince Stakes (1200m).
Van Gestel confirmed Racing NSW officials were liaising with sales company Inglis, which sponsors the race day, to discuss contingency plans.
Among the options being considered is the addition of the feature races to the midweek meeting at Warwick Farm on Wednesday.
Canterbury has been downgraded to a heavy 9 for Friday night’s program with stewards continuing to monitor the weather and conditions.