Back Yourself!
Sign-up and start betting with Ladbrokes in 2 minutes!
Daily Racing Specials!
Sign-up and bet with Australia's best new bookmaker!
Back A Winner with Neds!
Sign-up and start betting with Neds in 2 minutes!
#1 New Betting App!
Join the Best New Bookie!
BANTER WITH YOUR MATES
FOLLOW PUNTERS COPY BETS!
Best Of The Best Odds!
Bet With Palmerbet and get Paid Top Fluc or Top Tote!
What's gambling really costing you?
Set a deposit limit.
Search
 

Racing Victoria stewards will contact the managing owners of 81 starters involved in the Aquanita ‘top up’ case to ask them why their horses should not be disqualified.

Senior Aquanita staff including trainers Robert Smerdon, Stuart Webb and Tony Vasil were issued varying disqualifications by the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board in 2018 for dishonourable or improper practices which chairman Judge John Bowman described as one of the darkest moments in Australian racing history.

Last year the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal dismissed Smerdon’s appeal but altered Webb’s and Vasil’s penalties.

Stewards have determined that 81 starters of 395 potential treatment instances should be considered for disqualification based on actual administration findings by VCAT.

On Tuesday stewards wrote to the managing owner of those 81 starters with a show cause notice advising them of their preliminary decision, giving them until August 10 to respond as to why their horse should not be disqualified.

Jamie Stier, RV’s executive general manager, integrity services, said it was a unique and complex case.

“Text messages between the disqualified persons were central to the RAD Board and VCAT’s findings regarding the participants’ improper or dishonourable action, or practice,” Stier said.

“However these texts often referred to multiple horses or lacked clarity around which horse was the subject of said practice on a given day.

“Accordingly, while the evidence made it clear that those charged had engaged in unlawful practices, determining which horses were subjected to those practices was not possible in all instances.”

Stier said of the 81 starters considered for disqualification, 24 were winners, 24 minor placegetters and 33 were unplaced.

Prize money won by each varied from $300,000, to none at all, with more than half winning less than $10,000 in the race in question.

A timeline has not been set for when stewards will make a determination as to when those starters may be disqualified and a decision has yet to be made if any prize money will be required to be paid back, should any starter be disqualified.

 
*Existing customers only. 2nd Racing bet. Excl SA & WA. T’s & C’s apply. Gamble responsibly.
What's gambling really costing you?
Set a deposit limit.
Featured News

FREE BETS – Claim $1000’s in Bonus Bets at the TOP Betting Sites

We take a look at the BIGGEST and BEST Free Daily Racing Offers and Betting Promotions from Australia’s leading online...

Australia's Best Betting Sites

New Betting Sites Australia + Top List Bookmaker Apps $$$

Betting in Australia has never been more popular thanks to a large increase in new betting Agencies and Apps available...

Australian Bookmaker Reviews – Online Bookie Ratings $$

Which bookmaker should you bet with? We Review each of the leading online Australian Bookmakers and rate them in order...

Top 10 – Funniest Race Horse Names

Horse racing. Known as the ‘Sport Of Kings’, an industry worth billions, a very serious business…but to some, it’s a...

Winx Stakes

The is a race that has become one of the feature WFA sprint to middle distance races each year in...

Melbourne Cup

The Melbourne Cup always approaches fast, with the 2026 edition commencing at 3pm, Tuesday 4th November. The race that stops...

 
 
What's gambling really costing you?
For free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au