Following Daniel Andrews’ road map to COVID normal there will be no owners or crowds allowed at this years Spring Carnival in Melbourne.
Daniel Andrews announced the road map for Metropolitan Melbourne on Sunday which limits any crowds at racecourses in Melbourne until the end of November meaning this years Spring Carnival will not have owners or any crowds on course for any of the feature meetings.
“The events will still go on but the question is will there be people there on-site watching it? And that will be to the extent that is safe.”
“one day at the races for 5,000 people or 25,000 people is not worth compromising the state’s efforts.” Mr Andrews said
Victoria Racing Club chairman Neil Wilson was hopeful earlier this week that crowds could attend the Melbourne spring carnival but those are all but dashed in todays announcement.
As for international representation in the Melbourne Cup, Wilson said stayers who were not going to return to the northern hemisphere would contest the race so there would still be an overseas flavour whilst MVRC chief executive Michael Browell also remains hopeful of an international presence in the Cox Plate.