The Epsom Handicap meeting is expected to get the green light to go ahead at Randwick when the board of the Australian Turf Club meets on Monday.
Randwick was shut down at the end of last month when structural problems with the roof of the QEII grandstand were detected during testing for the upcoming redevelopment at the racecourse.
Sections of the roof have had to be removed and the Chelmsford Stakes and George Main Stakes feature race meetings were transferred to other tracks in Sydney.
Australian Turf Club chief executive Darren Pearce said the works needed to have the QEII stand safe were on track to be completed in time for Randwick to host the biggest race day of the Sydney spring carnival on Saturday featuring four Group One races.
But he said the final decision would be made when the board meets on Monday.
“The board meets on Monday to make sure that we’ve got all the appropriate sign-offs for safety,” Pearce said.
“So that’s the engineers sign off, there’s a Building Code of Australia and he’ll give us a certificate of occupation and make sure our insurances are in place which they are, so on Monday we’ll make a final decision.
“But everyone should be confident we’ll be back at Randwick for the first of October.”
Pearce said the work had been helped by fine weather up until Sunday afternoon.
“The weather has been terrific,” he said.
“Actually rain hasn’t been a major issue, it’s been more wind. We lost a day and a half to heavy strong winds earlier this week but the workers have been able to get through the program on time.
Along with the time-honoured Group One Epsom Handicap, Saturday’s meeting also features the running of the Group One Metropolitan, the Group One Flight Stakes and the Group One Spring Champion Stakes.