Jockeys will meet at Saturday’s Victoria Derby meeting to consider possible industrial action over the lack of funding for the National Jockeys’ Trust which supports injured riders and their families.
Last week, the Australian Jockeys’ Association asked all state and territory racing ministers for a combined one-off payment of $5 million to support the Trust.
AJC chief executive Paul Innes said the response from the governments had not satisfied the jockeys and a meeting would be held after the second race.
“One week ago, we asked all state and territory governments to address the serious shortfall in funds for the National Jockeys’ Trust, after 12 months of campaigning and meeting with Australian racing ministers,” Innes said.
We are disappointed with the responses we have received to date and note that Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and New South Wales did not even bother to respond.
“Jockeys have enough to worry about when they take the reins. They don’t need to be worrying about how they will look after their families in the event of a catastrophic fall as well.
“We will be speaking to jockeys today and put to them a number of resolutions that will determine what action will be taken for the remainder of spring carnival and beyond.”