Some facts about the Group One $2 million Doncaster Mile (1600m) to be run at Randwick on Saturday.
* Named after the famous racecourse in the north of England where the prestigious three-year-old Classic, the St. Leger Stakes, has been run since 1778.
* The Doncaster Handicap has been run at Randwick since 1866 when it was won by Dundee and has since been won by many of the finest gallopers ever to grace the Australian turf.
* Regarded as the most sought after “mile” in the country, past winners include Wakeful (1901), Winooka (1933), Chatham (1934), Hall Mark (1935), Blue Legend (1946-47), Karendi (1954), Tudor Hill (1959-60), Fine And Dandy (1961, 1963), Time And Tide (1965), Citius (1966), Tobin Bronze (1967), Gunsynd (1972), Emancipation (1983), Super Impose (1990-91), Pharaoh (1994-95), Sunline (1999, 2002), Grand Armee (2003), Private Steer (2004), Racing To Win (2006) and Haradasun (2007).
* The late TJ Smith is the most successful trainer having won it seven times with Unpainted (1968), Bye Bye (1969), Gunsynd (1972), Analie (1973), Authentic Heir (1976), Iko (1980) and Lygon Arms (1988).
* Smith’s daughter Gai Waterhouse has won the race six times with Pharaoh (1994-95), Sprint By (1996), Secret Savings (1997), Assertive Lad (2001) and Grand Armee (2003) and will be represented by More Joyous and Pureness on Saturday.
* Six horses have won back-to-back Doncasters: Mildura (1940-41), Blue Legend (1946-47), Slogan II (1956-57), Tudor Hill (1959-60), Super Impose (1990-91) and Pharaoh (1994-95).
* Sunline won three years apart in 1999 and 2002 while Fine And Dandy won two years apart in 1961 and 1963.
* Twenty-two mares have won the race with Casino in 1868 the first and Private Steer (2004) the last. More Joyous, Aloha, Palacio De Cristal and Happy Hippy are the mares running on Saturday.
* Only five favourites have won the race in the past 20 years: Sunline in 1999 (10-9) and 2002 (11-4), Private Steer (3-1) in 2004, Racing To Win (7-2) in 2006 and Haradasun (13-4) in 2007.
* The fastest recorded time for the Doncaster was a blistering 1:33.7 by Belmura Lad in 1979.
* Trainers who have won the race with a runner this year: Gai Waterhouse – More Joyous, Pureness (Grand Armee 2003, Assertive Lad 2001, Secret Savings 1997, Sprint By 1996, Pharaoh 1995, 1994); Chris Waller – Danleigh, Triple Elegance (Rangirangdoo 2010, Triple Honour 2008); Joe Pride – Sacred Choice (Vision And Power 2009). John Hawkes trained Over to win in 2000 and now trains in partnership with his sons Wayne and Michael and will be represented by Dao Dao and Love Conquers All on Saturday.
* Jockeys who have won the race with rides this year: Nash Rawiller – More Joyous (Rangirangdoo 2010); Chris Munce – Love Conquers All (Assertive Lad 2001); Glen Boss – Aloha (Triple Honour 2008, Haradasun 2007, Racing To Win 2006, Private Steer 2004, Sprint By 1996); Jim Cassidy – Triple Elegance (Vision And Power 2009).