The Tulloch Stakes is the second race at Rosehill on Golden Slipper day and is the only Group 2 race on the day. Retrieve opened as the early market favourite and continues to be the best supporter in a race the should suit his patten of running. View my full runner by runner preview of the Group 2 Tulloch Stakes.
1. Retrieve – Classy 3YO colt who is currently the second favourite to win the AJC Derby after his impressive run in the Rosehill Guineas last weekend were he only just failed to hold off the fast finishing Jimmy Choux. Drops half a kilo in weights since that run and is racing against easier competition. Hasn’t been able to win this preparation but Saturday looks to be his best chance so far of doing so. Has drawn an ideal barrier (3) will jump and most likely go to the front of the field like last start and dictate the race. Major player.
2. Blackie – Was brought across by Michael Kent to target the Sydney Carnival and his win in the Phar Lap Stakes a fortnight ago was very impressive. Looks to be stepping up the grades nicely with his target being next weeks Derby. Has drawn a reasonable barrier and is likely to sit mid field and looks to be the biggest threat to the favourite. Strong claims.
3. Fast Clip – Comes out of the Phar Lap Stakes were he ran a very solid second to Blackie, again he steps up in class and looks like he has the ability to figure in the race. Has drawn a good barrier (4) which will give him the ability to sit just off the leaders and will look to make his run around the 200m. Not sure if he can edge out Retrieve nor hold off the horses running on. Untested at the distance so happy to leave him out. Place chance at best.
4. Shadows In The Sun – Another runner coming out of the Phar Lap Stakes, ran an okay fifth in the race but only battled away. Hasn’t won in his last four starts and i feel its unlikely he will break this trend on Saturday. Drawn the inside barrier which will help and should take the box seat in the race although i dont think he has the class to figure in this race. Place chance at best.
5. Maules Creek – A lightly raced 3YO that looks to be improving, failed last start in a much easier race and will need to find lengths to be in contention for this race. Happy to leave him out.
6. I Think I Do – Another lightly raced galloper out of the on fire Anthony Cummings stable, ran well last start at Moonee Valley where he looked to appreciate the 2000m. Will go back in the field, but the race looks to lack a lot of pace which wont suit. Dont think he will figure on Saturday but is definitely a runner to watch in upcoming races if he drops in class. Each way value.
7. Shootoff – Was sent out at long odds last start in the Rosehill Guineas and never figured in the race. This race looks to be a bit easier but from barrier 11 he will go to the back of the field and stay there. Wont figure in the race.
8. Muirfield – Was unlucky at Moonee Valley where he showed a much improved run, will be looking to build on that in this race and looks like one of the runners who can test the favourites. Has drawn barrier 9 and will look to head to the rear of the field and looks to be one of the backmarkers who will be hitting the line the strongest. Good each way value.
9. Shadowofexcellence – Ran well at Newcastle two starts ago albeit in a maiden, was sent to Melbourne for the Alister Clark Stakes where he was heavily support (perhaps due to being a half brother to Makybe Diva) but never figured in the race. Looks to handle the Sydney way of going better and will improve with the bigger track. Doesn’t have a good third up record but could be a surprise runner. Under the odds so happy to leave him out.
10. Straight Albert – Easy winner last start at Newcastle in much easier company, looks to have a lot of ability but has been thrown in the deep end on Saturday. Has had two tries in black type races where he finished at the rear of the field both times. Looks to have improved since those runs at at his current odds may be a good each way bet. Drawn barrier 7 and will sit midfield which should suit this race. Good each way value.
11. King Gladiator – One of the runners who would have liked some more rain, is coming out of the same races as Maulescreek where he finished behind him on one of the occasions but looks to have more upside looking at his runs. If there is some late rain he is a runner at odds you have to include in your selections. Each way value if it rains.
12. Space Station –Rank outsider of the field and deserves the tag. Wont figure in the race.
Speed: Doesn’t look to be a lot of pace in the race and its likely Retrieve will again get an easy lead, the other runners in the market are likely to sit a lot closer to prevent him getting to far ahead heading into the straight. Doesnt look like a race where the winner will be coming from the back of the field.
Overview: Bookmakers look to be on the mark with this race, all the favourites will sit forward and it looks like the winner will come from the first 5-6 runners to corner. Retrieve will dictate the race and will give a very good kick entering the straight, Blackie looks to be his biggest danger and will be hitting the line strong and they should finish ahead of the other forward running chances. From the back i expect I Think I Do and Straight Albert to be running on the strongest. King Gladiotor looks to rate very well if the track is rated Slow or Heavy.
Selections: Retrieve, Blackie, I Think I Do, Straight Albert
Written by Morgan Payne
|Bookmaker||Why Bet||Sign Up||Full Review|
|Sign up and start betting in minutes!||Join||Review|
|Back Yourself with Ladbrokes!||Join||Review|
|Back a Winner with Neds!||Join||Review|
|Sign up to Unibet and start betting in minutes!||Join||Review|
|Sign up to TAB and start betting in minutes!||Join||Review|
|Sign up to PlayUp and start betting in minutes!||Join||Review|