The first of the Group 1 races on Golden Slipper day is the Queen of The Turf Stakes over 1500m. More Joyous heads the betting and will start odds on and probably the shortest priced runner across the country on Saturday. View my full runner by runner preview of the Queen of The Turf Stakes.
1. More Joyous – Superstar mare who has won 13 of her 17 starts and goes into Saturdays race as the long odds on favourite to win her fourth consecutive group race. Last start she beat the boys eased down by close to 3L and looks to almost be unbeatable on Saturday. Will go around as the shortest priced favourite on the day and deserves to short odds. One the beat.
2. Melito – Clear second favourite in the market and a very classy mare in her own right, ran a very gutsy race last start in the Coolmore Classic where she had to carry 59.5kg in the heavy going. Drops in weight here and will be better suited by the track. Running in career best form but is up against arguably the best middle distance runner in Australia. Likely to run a strong placing.
3. Set For Fame –Beaten last start where she was heavily supported in much easier company, has a great third up record but doesnt look to have the class to test some of the mares in this race. Happy to leave out.
4. Palacio De Cristal – Wasn’t suited by the track conditions last start in the Coolmore Classic, should get a much dryer track on Saturday which will suit. Will go back in her run and be hitting the line strongly. Frequently misses the jump which she cant afford in a field of this quality but looks to be a major threat to More Joyous if things dont go the favourites way. Confident she will run in the first two.
5. Jersey Lily – Another runner out of the Coolmore Classic and finished ahead of Melito and Palacio De Cristal although was better suited by the conditions and met both much better at the weights. Cant see her figuring in the race. Happy to leave out.
6. Montana Flyer – A decent run in the Coolmore Classic but wont have the class to test any of the favourites. Wont figure.
7. Happy Hippy – A decent run in the Coolmore Classic where she hit the line strong, will prefer the dryer track but again wont have the class to test these. May be worth throwing in for third position to add some value to your trifecta’s as she is over the odds compared to Jersey Lily and Montana Flyer.
Speed: The speed in the race looks to be moderate, Montana Flyer will likely lead the race with Melito, Jersey Lily and More Joyous all sitting off the leader. Happy Hippy and Palacio De Cristal will go back to the rear.
Overview: As expected More Joyous looks very hard to beat, she has class on all of these runners and the only way i see her getting beaten is with a ton of pace in the race and Palacio De Cristal finishing off too well. Although it is unlikely there will be enough pace to warrant this.
Selections: More Joyous, Palacio De Cristal, Melito, Happy Hippy
Written by Morgan Payne
|Bookmaker||Why Bet||Sign Up||Full Review|
|Sign up and start betting in minutes!||Join||Review|
|Back Yourself with Ladbrokes!||Join||Review|
|Back a Winner with Neds!||Join||Review|
|Sign up to Unibet and start betting in minutes!||Join||Review|
|Sign up to TAB and start betting in minutes!||Join||Review|
|Sign up to PlayUp and start betting in minutes!||Join||Review|