No spectators will be allowed on-course at Victorian race meetings after Victorian Government ordered a lockdown following a recent COVID outbreak.
Victorian racing will continue in front of no crowds after the Victorian Government ordered a seven-day circuit breaker following the increase in numbers of the recent COVID cluster.
Racing Victoria announced on Thursday that meetings in Victoria from Friday will continue as they did during the 112-day lockdown last year that allowed for competing participants, essential staff and officials permitted to attend.
All spectators, including owners, members, the general public, non-broadcast media and non-essential staff are banned from attending Victorian meetings for the next seven days while face masks must be worn.
RV chief executive Giles Thompson said racing’s clear objectives have been to protect the health and wellbeing of industry staff, participants and the wider community.
“Racing and training can continue in Victoria at this time under the strict biosecurity protocols that saw our sport safely continue throughout previous periods of lockdown and restrictions,” Thompson said.
“As we have done throughout the pandemic, we will continue to take decisive action to ensure that we provide the safest environment possible for both those participating in Victorian racing, as well as the wider community.
“I also want to remind everyone within the Victorian racing industry of the critical need to abide by all Government directives in the days ahead and to regularly monitor the Government’s website for updates to the exposure site locations.”