WHAT DOES THE GEELONG CUP MEAN FOR THE MELBOURNE CUP?
* Three horses – Media Puzzle (2002), Americain (2010) and Dunaden (2011) have won the Geelong Cup-Melbourne Cup double in the same year.
* A couple more Geelong Cup winners went close in the Melbourne Cup – Bauer (2008) was edged out by a nose by Viewed while On A Jeune (2005) was beaten in the Melbourne Cup by Makybe Diva.
* Zazzman won the Geelong Cup in 2003 before finishing third behind Makybe Diva and She’s Archie in the Melbourne Cup the following year.
* Grey Lion, Oceanographer and Qewy are the only Geelong Cup runners still in contention for this year’s Melbourne Cup.
* Oceanographer and Qewy must run in the top three to pass the first ballot clause for the Melbourne Cup 2016. Grey Lion is 30th in the order of entry.