South Coast communities in NSW will be the first beneficiaries of the Racing for the Bushfire Appeal with emergency hay drops the priority.
The Australian Turf Club Foundation will immediately begin to distribute funds raised from last Saturday’s fund raising day at Randwick for NSW communities and wildlife.
More than $130,000 has already been raised from the day with the ATC Foundation to begin releasing the funds this week.
Money distributed in coming days will go to:
- $30,000 towards an emergency hay drop for the Cobargo District servicing Bega, Narooma, Dalmeny, Dignams Creek, Tilba, Coolagolite and surrounding areas.
- $20,000 toward an emergency hay drop for the Moruya District servicing Eurobodalla, Bodalla, Potato Point, Bumbo and surrounding areas.
- $10,000 to BlazeAid to rebuild fallen fences in fire-affected areas, sourcing fencing material through local businesses.
ATC chairman Matthew McGrath will attend the Bega Cup meeting on Sunday in support of the local community and the Sapphire Coast Turf Club.
The ATC has donated a special race day package to help the Sapphire Coast Turf Club to raise funds.
Further funding announcements from remaining donations to the Racing for the Bushfire Appeal will be made in coming weeks, including at the completion of online auctions which began on Saturday.
- The boots and breeches worn by jockey Hugh Bowman during Winx’s first Cox Plate victory, Doncaster Handicap and Furore’s win in the Hong Kong Derby
- An oil painting of Winx signed by Hugh Bowman and her trainer Chris Waller, donated by his wife Stephanie Waller
- Special Australia Day silks signed by several of Sydney’s leading jockeys
- A 2018 oil painting of Black Caviar by renowned artist Dana Richards donated from a private collection
The distribution of funds from the Racing for the Bushfire Appeal comes in addition to the $500,000 being distributed by Racing NSW to thoroughbred racing participants and employees directly impacted by bushfires.
ATC partners and race day name partners who have supported the Racing for the Bushfire Appeal are: Lion, City Tatts, TABCORP and Sky Racing, Inglis, PFD Food Services, The Coopers Hotel Newtown, Mark Alati Bookmakers and Edney Ryan Group.
“The Foundation is very pleased to be able to immediately distribute these funds to help communities and animals still recovering from these devastating bushfires,” ATC Foundation chairman Phil Morley said.