The fate of jockey Danny Nikolic’s bid to have a two-year ban from racing overturned is unlikely to be known until next month.
Nikolic’s appeal hearing against his disqualification before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Appeals Tribunal (VCAT) on Thursday was adjourned until November 28.
The rider will then be called to give evidence before final submissions by counsel are put to judge Michael McNamara.
Earlier in the day Victoria Racing chief steward Terry Bailey was close to tears as he told a hearing about alleged threats to his family by Nikolic during a race meeting at Seymour on September 4.
After the confrontation, Bailey said Seymour police had been called to the racecourse.
“They spoke to me about whether there would be any trouble with Danny leaving the course,” Bailey said.
“They asked me to tell him to leave and if he didn’t, they would handle it from there. But Danny had gone anyway.”
In response to a question from Jack Rush, QC, representing Nikolic, Bailey said he had not told police about the alleged threat to his family because he knew “they would have been across it”.
He said he had arranged for extra security at his home following the encounter and he came close to breaking down as he gave evidence about phoning his wife and discussing with her whether he should return home immediately.
“I told her what had happened and we had to make a decision (whether he should return home immediately),” he said.
“I told her there was security put on the house.”
Bailey told the tribunal he did not go home that evening but drove to Euroa to attend an important meeting the following morning.
Bailey said he had shortly afterwards given a signed statement to members of the Victoria Police Purana Taskforce who had visited him at his house.
When questioned by Rush on the first day of the appeal hearing on Wednesday and accused of conducting a vendetta against Nikolic, Bailey denied that was the case.
Nikolic has maintained that it was Bailey who had threatened him, promising to end his career.