At least two more jockeys expect to be questioned this week in the betting investigation that has caused upheaval in Victorian racing.
And as the probe continues, the scandal centred on a $10,000 bet made by Damien Oliver will go back to its source with Racing Integrity Commissioner Sal Perna to conduct a review of Racing Victoria’s inquiry into the matter.
The jockeys awaiting interview say Racing Victoria investigators have told them they are required to attend inquiries and have tailored their riding schedules accordingly.
Up to 10 jockeys are believed to be implicated in the betting investigations that this week led to Oliver being banned for 10 months over a $10,000 bet he placed on a rival horse in a race in which he rode.
Oliver admitted his guilt after initially refusing to speak to investigators until a deal was done which effectively allowed him to ride through the Melbourne spring carnival.
The “without prejudice” discussions between Oliver and his lawyers and Racing Victoria led to him making a formal admission last week to his “one-off, spur-of-the-moment” bet on Miss Octopussy at Moonee Valley in October 2010.
The Perna review, announced on Wednesday at the instigation of racing minister Denis Napthine, will examine the handling by Racing Victoria (RV) of the Oliver case.
It was as a result of information received by Perna in August that Oliver’s betting was revealed.
In the wake of the Oliver case Napthine questioned RV’s failure to stand the jockey down as soon as the allegations against him gained credibility.
That view won the support of RV chief executive Rob Hines on Wednesday.
“From my perspective, I thought it would be a good thing if Oliver didn’t ride through the (spring) carnival,” Hines said.
But Hines also said he understood why the Investigating Committee appointed by RV to conduct the Oliver inquiry had delayed issuing a stand down order until they had a confession.
“Now I understand all the conversations and discussions the panel had … I understand the decisions they took,” he told Melbourne’s RSN radio.
“But from my perspective it’s a little disappointing because everything really went pear-shaped.”
Hines also confirmed investigations are continuing into the role in the Oliver case of those who accepted his bet and the delivery of the jockey’s winnings.
“The investigations around this matter are not concluded,” he said.
“No doubt we will be hearing more about all of that.”
The Perna review begins next week after the time limit on any possible appeal by Oliver has expired.