Apprentice Luke Tarrant has had his appeal dismissed against a suspension for reckless riding in last month’s Grand Prix Stakes.
However, the Racing Disciplinary Board reduced his six-week suspension to four weeks.
Tarrant was banned on two charges – one of reckless riding and one of careless riding – out incidents in the straight on Jumbo Prince in the Group Three Grand Prix at Doomben on May 23.
He appealed both and RDB chairman Brock Miller found Tarrant should have only been charged with reckless riding.
Mr Miller said the board believed Tarrant had ridden his mount with intent to get across and caused interference to several riders.
He said it was a minor miracle that there had not been worse interference and that there had not been a fall.
But in reducing the sentence to four weeks, Mr Miller said Tarrant had accepted he had made a mistake and the apprentice’s good riding record had to be taken into account.
“This board sees the reckless riding at the severe end of the scale but we have taken Tarrant’s attitude into account,” he said.
Tarrant addressed the hearing and said he was an inexperienced rider who had never ridden in such a big feature-race field.
“I was told to go forward and the pressure was on me,” he said.
Tarrant is already serving a suspension from last Friday’s Ipswich meeting and will not resume riding until August 4.
It means he has no chance of winning the Brisbane jockeys’ premiership in which he holds down second place.