THE GEORGE RYDER STAKES
1500m, $1 million, weight for age at Rosehill
* First run in 1903. Changed from a quality handicap after 1973 and renamed in honour of the long-time racing administrator whose legacy is the Golden Slipper.
* Has been run over 1500m since 1986.
* Notable winners: Manikato (1979 and 1980), Emancipation (1983 and 1984), Campaign King (1988 and 1987), Schillaci (1993), Mouawad (1997), Lonhro (2003 and 2004), Racing To Win (2006), Haradasun (2007), Weekend Hussler (2008), Pierro (2013).
* Chris Waller has won the the race three times (Danleigh 2010, Rangirangdoo 2011 and Metal Bender 2012). He will saddle up hot favourite Winx, as well as Press Statement and Kermadec.
* No female has won the race since 1986 when Heat Of The Moment won as a three-year-old filly.
* Two favourites have won since 2004 – Pierro in 2013 and Danleigh in 2010.
* Winx is aiming to become the first horse to win the Cox Plate, Chipping Norton Stakes and George Ryder treble.
* Of the jockeys riding in the race, James McDonald, Craig Williams and Hugh Bowman have ridden George Ryder winners.
* Press Statement will attempt to be the 13th three-year-old to win the race since 1983.
WHAT CONNECTIONS ARE SAYING
* “She is the same as she was at her first and second runs which is a very good sign” – Winx’s trainer Chris Waller.
* “It’s a very tough race. If we get within three lengths of them I think the horse will be doing well” – Trainer Phillip Stokes on Hucklebuck.
* “It’s a big ask. Winx is a super horse, but you know racing” – Trainer Murray Baker rates the chances of Turn Me Loose.
Claim $100 in Bonus Bets when you deposit $20!*