GROUP ONE VINERY STUD STAKES
2000m, $500,000, 3YO fillies
* First run in 1979 over 1900m at Canterbury when won by Impede
* Before 1992 it was a Group Two and known as Storm Queen Stakes
* Favourites have won the race 13 times in the last 33 years
* The race has been won by star fillies such as: Sheraco (1982), Research (1989), Slight Chance (1993), Champagne (1998), Savannah Success (1999), Special Harmony (2004), Serenade Rose (2006), Miss Finland (2007), Mosheen (2012) and Lucia Valentina (2014).
* Mick Dittman is the most successful jockey with three winners – Centaurea (1985), Research (1989) and A Little Kiss (1990).
* Bart Cummings and Lee Freedman most successful trainers with three wins each
* Race is seen as a strong lead-up to the ATC Australian Oaks two weeks later
* VRC Oaks winner Jameka will be ridden by Damien Oliver
* Barrier 10 the most successful, with seven wins over 33 years
WHAT THE CONNECTIONS ARE SAYING
“Coming back to 2000 metres won’t worry her. She can handle it wet or dry” – New Zealand trainer Donna Logan on Valley Girl.
“She’s really well … she should be starting to hit her straps now” – trainer Ciaron Maher said of Jameka.
“She’s very natural and a great mover” – trainer Danica Guy said of Capella.
“She’s definitely the best I’ve ever had and I don’t think we’ve seen the best of her yet” – trainer Nick Olive on Single Gaze.
Claim $100 in Bonus Bets when you deposit $20!*