THE 151ST DONCASTER MILE
1600m, $3 million, handicap
* Highlight of first day of The Championships at Randwick.
* First run in 1865 when it was won by Dundee and has since been won by many of the finest horses to grace the Australian turf.
* Named after the famous racecourse in England’s north.
* Regarded as Australia’s premier mile race, past winners include Wakeful (1901), Chatham (1934), Hall Mark (1935), Fine And Dandy (1961, 1963), Time And Tide (1965), Tobin Bronze (1967), Gunsynd (1972), Emancipation (1983), Super Impose (1990-91), Sunline (1999, 2002) and More Joyous (2012).
* The late TJ Smith and his daughter Gai Waterhouse are the most successful trainers having each won seven times.
* Waterhouse has one runner this year – Ecuador.
* Six horses have won back-to-back Doncasters: Mildura (1940-41), Blue Legend (1946-47), Slogan II (1956-57), Tudor Hill (1959-60), Super Impose (1990-91) and Pharaoh (1994-95), Sacred Falls (2013-14).
* The fastest recorded time is 1:33.7 by Belmura Lad in 1979.
* The Doncaster Mile gained its Group One status in 1980.
* Winx is trained by Chris Waller who also won with Triple Honour in 2008, Rangirangdoo in 2010, Sacred Falls in 2013 and 2014 and Kermadec in 2015.
* Waller made history having the first four home in 2014 – Sacred Falls, Royal Descent, Weary and Hawkspur.
* Winx won the George Rider Stakes this year, which is considered to be the major lead-up race. Winx will start from barrier 11.
WHAT CONNECTIONS ARE SAYING
“It’s a big test for her but Chris has an affinity with the Doncaster and as owners we follow the genius that he is” – co-owner Debbie Kepitis on Winx.
“She will probably want a bit more give in the track but she’s run well on top of the ground, so whatever it throws up, it throws up” – Ciaron Maher on Azkadellia.
“I’m sure He Or She is in tip-top shape and I couldn’t see why he couldn’t run a really cheeky race” – jockey Patrick Moloney on He Or She.