THE ATC AUSTRALIAN DERBY
2400m, $3 million, set weights
* First run in 1861 and won by Kyogle, the Derby is firmly established as the No.1 three-year-old Classic in the country.
* Past winners include Grand Flaneur (1880), Poseidon (1906), Gloaming (1918), Heroic (1924), Phar Lap (1929), Peter Pan (1932), Hall Mark (1933), Tea Rose (1944), Tulloch (1957), Silver Sharpe (1970), Classic Mission (1971), Imagele (1973), Dulcify (1979), Kingston Town (1980), Strawberry Road (1983), Bonecrusher (1986), Beau Zam (1988), Research (1989), Naturalism (1992), Mahogany (1994), Octagonal (1996).
* The late TJ Smith holds training honours with nine winners: Playboy (1949), Tulloch (1957), Summer Prince (1962), Summer Fiesta (1963), Prince Grant (1965), Silver Sharpe (1970), Imagele (1973), Great Lover (1976) and Kingston Town (1980).
* Champion jockey Tommy Hales holds the record for riding the most winners: Richmond (1875), Grand Flaneur (1880), Navigator (1882), Bargo (1884), Trident (1886) and Abercorn (1887).
* Damien Oliver, James McDonald, Opie Bosson and Hugh Bowman are the only four jockeys riding this year to experience Derby success. Oliver (Jameka) rode Don Eduardo to win in 2002 while McDonald (Tally) was aboard It’s A Dundeel three years ago. Bosson (Torgensen) rode last year’s winner Mongolian Khan while Bowman (Vanbrugh) combined with Criterion in 2014.
* Jameka is the only filly in the race. The Derby has been historically dominated by colts and geldings – in the last 26 years, only Shamrocker (2011) has won the race.
WHAT CONNECTIONS ARE SAYING
“Her work since the (Rosehill) Guineas has been super and she’s going into Saturday’s race fit and in great form” – trainer Ciaron Maher on Jameka.
“You would think on what he has done to date that 2400 metres on the big Randwick track is tailor made for him” – trainer Steven McKee on What’s The Story.