$600 in Bonus Bets
Get your first bet matched with up to $600 in bonuses*
$500 Matched Deposit
Sign-up, deposit $500 & receive $500 in bonus bets. That's $1000 to bet with!*
Deposit $250, Bet with $550
Sign-up, deposit $250 & receive $300 in bonus bets. That's $550 to bet with!*
500% Deposit Bonus
Sign-up, deposit $20 & receive $100 in bonus bets. That's $120 to bet with!*
$500 Matched Deposit
Sign-up and get your first deposit matched with up to $500 in bonus bets*
*Conditions Apply. Excl VIC, NSW, SA & WA. Gamble Responsibly

EDS: Note language in 6th paragraph.

By Joel Cresswell

MELBOURNE, Sept 4 AAP – Caulfield Cup-winning jockey Danny Nikolic says a homicide squad detective pinned him to the wall by his throat during a routine interview over a minor assault allegation.

Nikolic is charged with assaulting Detective Senior Constable Julio Salerno, then a member of the Purana taskforce, after a 2011 interview.

But Nikolic, 38, told the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday that the officer was the aggressor.

The suspended rider said Det Sen Const Salerno pushed him backwards into a chair, grabbed him by the throat and then held him to the wall when he stood back up.

“I thought he was outside the parameters of what he could do,” Nikolic told the court.

He said he called Det Sen Const Salerno a “disgrace” and told him to, “f..k off, get out of here” during the interview.

Det Sen Const Salerno admitted to shoving Nikolic, but told the court he did so because he felt threatened after Nikolic stood and took a step toward him.

“Feeling threatened and fearing he was going to assault me, I pushed him back into his seat,” Det Sen Const Salerno told the court.

Nikolic is accused of making slight contact with the forehead of Det Sen Const Salerno as they faced off in the interview room.

Nikolic was at St Kilda Rd police station in April 2011 to be interviewed about another alleged assault on fellow jockey Mark Pegus, and Det Sen Const Salerno had participated as a corroborator in that interview.

Det Sen Const Salerno previously told the court the true purpose of his presence was to gather intelligence in relation to the murder of Sydney racing identity Les Samba.

Nikolic had earlier been interviewed by police in connection with the Samba murder but cleared of any involvement.

The one-time leading Melbourne jockey is also charged over assaulting Pegus in January 2011 and Pegus’s girlfriend Rickie-Lee Hull two months later.

He denies all charges.

Nikolic told the court he had been working with Pegus on a horse but became infuriated when Pegus claimed he was injured and refused to ride.

He said he told Pegus their partnership was finished and warned him not to come to trackwork the following day.

When Pegus arrived at trackwork, the pair argued, Pegus shoved Nikolic and Nikolic responded by pushing him against the wall, he said.

But Nikolic denied throwing punches during the scuffle, which he said lasted about one minute.

Magistrate Angela Bolger will decide on Thursday if Nikolic is guilty of assault.

 
Deposit $50, Bet with $200
Sign-up, deposit $50 & receive $150 in bonus bets. That's $200 to bet with!*
*Conditions Apply. Excl VIC, NSW, SA & WA. Gamble Responsibly
  • DEPOSIT $500
    start betting
    with
    $1000*
    CLAIM NOW
  • first bet
    matched
    up to
    $600*
    CLAIM NOW
  • DEPOSIT $20
    start betting
    with
    $120*
    CLAIM NOW
  • DEPOSIT $250
    start betting
    with
    $550*
    CLAIM NOW
*Conditions Apply. Excl VIC, NSW, SA & WA. Gamble Responsibly
Featured News

Over $5,000 in Bonus Free Bets

Just Horse Racing provides readers with the best Free Bet offers available at every online bookmaker in Australia during the...

Chautauqua

Chautauqua to trial during G1 meeting

Chautauqua is set to play a part at the Moir Stakes program at Moonee Valley when he runs in an...

Melbourne Cup hopeful struggles in Germany

Torcedor remains on target for the Melbourne Cup despite a disappointing start for his new owners in Germany. The top-class...

Owner banned over offensive racehorse name

A racehorse owner has been disqualified for 18 months for knowingly giving a horse an offensive name and subsequently giving...

3YO a Big mover for Melbourne Cup 2018

Could a three year old contest the Melbourne Cup (3200m) again? Some TAB.com.au punters are certainly hoping that’s the case...

Jungle Cat’s odd slashed for The Everest

Will Godolphin get the final free slot in The Everest? Some TAB punters are certainly hope so and that the...

 
 
 
Copyright © 2018 Just Horse Racing.
All rights reserved - Privacy Policy

Gamble Responsibly 18+
*State exclusions apply to some offers. Please check T&Cs of each offer with the bookmaker. All Offers Exclude NSW residents.