Coolmore is no closer to locking in a runner for its slot in The Everest despite confirming Irish sprinter Ten Sovereigns will be entering quarantine to travel to Australia.
Tom Magnier, Coolmore’s Australian principal, said the July Cup winner remained at the forefront of discussions for the $14 million Everest but nothing had been set in stone.
One stumbling block is Ten Sovereign’s dislike for wet tracks with trainer Aidan O’Brien scratching the horse from last weekend’s Sprint Cup at Haydock due to the soft conditions.
If Randwick was rain-affected come Everest day, it would all but cruel Ten Sovereigns’ chances.
Magnier says Coolmore is equally keen to test the Everest credentials of Yes Yes Yes, the three-year-old they bought into during the autumn, when he resumes in the Run To The Rose at Rosehill on Saturday.
“Obviously we’ve got Yes Yes Yes running in Sydney this weekend so we’re going to watch and see what happens there,” Magnier told Sky Sports Radio.
“But we had to make a decision on whether Ten Sovereigns went into quarantine, so we took the decision to put him in, but we’re also going to see what happens with Yes Yes Yes.
“He’s gone into quarantine but we haven’t locked in our slot yet.”
If Ten Sovereigns doesn’t head to The $14m Everest, there are several other major sprint races he could contest should he travel to Australia this spring.
Magnier also revealed Coolmore isn’t necessarily committed to running one of their own horses in the slot they hold for the October 19 feature.
He said given the amount of prize money on offer in The Everest, they are open to considering horses from outside their own band of thoroughbreds.
“There are a lot of good horses around at the moment that could be considered for a slot, we’re still keeping the options open,” Magnier said.