The Golden Slipper is one of the biggest races in Australia each year, and people around the country and the world are always keen to know the results. This race has been run since 1957, originally as a Principal race over a distance of 6 furlongs. Todman won the inaugural event, with a number of famous names also experiencing victory in the early years.
The Golden Slipper became a Group 1 event in 1980, with Dark Eclipse taking out the event this year. It has continued under Group 1 status since this time, and has only gotten bigger and better in terms of prize money and international status. Some of the most notable winners of the Golden Slipper over the years include Fine and Dandy in 1959, Storm Queen in 1966, Belle Du Jour in 2000, Ha Ha in 2001, Polar Success in 2003, Stratum in 2005, Sebring in 2008, Phelan Ready in 2009, and Crystal Lily in 2010.
Results for the Golden Slipper are often reviewed in relation to other big races, with some winners going on to perform well at the WS Cox Plate and Melbourne Cup later in the season. In recent years, males have enjoyed better results in the Golden Slipper, with 12 male horses winning over the last 20 years. Two trainers have each won this event on six occasions, Bart Cummings and TJ Smith. Two jockeys have won the race four years in a row, Shane Dye between 1989 and 1992 and R. Quinton between 1982 and 1987.
The 2012 edition of the Golden Slipper was won by Pierro, who took out the race ahead of Snitzerland in second place and Samaready in third. While Snitzerland took the early lead and looked ripe for victory at some stages, Pierro was too strong down the straight and took victory just before the line.
The official Golden Slipper results cover:
– Golden Slipper Winner – the first horse over the line.
– Golden Slipper Exacta – the first two horses over the line.
– Golden Slipper Quinella – the winner and runner-up in either order.
– Golden Slipper Trifecta – the first three placegetters.
– Golden Slipper First Four – the first four horses over the line.
– Golden Slipper Finishing Order – the official results for the entire field.
– Golden Slipper Scratchings – any horses scratched from the race.
– Golden Slipper Margin – the margin enjoyed by the winner.
– Golden Slipper Time – the official winning time.