Some facts about the Group One Toorak Handicap (1600m) at Caulfield on Saturday.
* First run in 1881 when won by Josephine.
* Before 1972 run over one mile (1600m) except for 1931-35 inclusive when run over 8-1/2 furlongs (1700m) and in 1891 when run over nine furlongs (1800m).
* From 1940-43 run at Flemington.
* Group One since 1979.
* Notable past winners include The Trump (1937); El Golea (1938); Royal Gem (1946); Saxony (1948-49); Desert Breeze (1952-53); Nicopolis (1963-64), Galilee (1966), Tobin Bronze (1967), Tauto (1970), Gunsynd (1971), Leilani (1974), Planet Ruler (1988), Cole Diesel (1989), Poetic King (1996), Umrum (1999, 2000), Show A Heart (2001), Regal Roller 2004), Divine Madonna (2007), More Joyous (2010).
* Highest metric weight carried to victory: 58kg – All Shot (1972), More Joyous (2010).
* In 1966 Galilee became the only horse to win the Toorak and Melbourne Cup in the same year. A year later Tobin Bronze became the only galloper to win the Toorak-Cox Plate double in the same year.
* Four horses have won back-to-back Tooraks: Umrum (1999-2000), Nicopolis (1963-64), Desert Breeze (1952-53) and Saxony (1948-49).
* The race has produced two dead-heats for first – Journal and Epigram in 1935 and Ena and El Golea three years later.
* Jockeys with a ride this year who have won the Toorak before: Michael Rodd – King Mufhasa (Divine Madonna 2007); Michelle Payne – Yosei (Allez Wonder 2009); Craig Newitt – Majestic Music (Alamosa 2008).
* Trainers with a runner this year who have won the race before: Gai Waterhouse – Fast Clip (More Joyous 2010). Leon Macdonald won the race with Umrum in 1999 and 2000. He now trains in partnership with Andrew Gluyas and will be represented by Majestic Music on Saturday.