Proposed industrial action by jockeys has been put on hold as the Australian Jockeys’ Association continues to lobby state governments for funds to help injured riders.
Jockeys had planned to take action from this week after a lack of response to their request for a one-off $5 million payment to the National Jockeys’ Trust which assists injured riders and their families.
However, the AJA’s Des O’Keeffe said some progress had been made and industrial action was on hold.
“We are satisfied that we are making worthwhile progress,” O’Keeffe said.
“I had a meeting with the Tasmanian minister and will be meeting with Rob Hines from Racing Victoria on Tuesday.
“There will be no industrial action at the moment as long as the talks are productive.”
O’Keeffe said there were strict criteria to dispensing funds to those in need.
“We don’t just hand out money to anyone but there are a lot of people who slip through the cracks,” he said.
“WorkCover varies from state to state and any pay-outs can take a long time.
“Meanwhile the rider still requires treatment and the Trust is there to assist.”
O’Keeffe said a sombre reminder of the dangers facing jockeys was the news Queensland rider Corey Gilby was on life support in a Townsville hospital on Sunday after a fall.
“Corey had a fall at Julia Creek on Saturday,” O’Keeffe said.
“It wasn’t even in a race but a gallop after the last race at the meeting.
“He is just 27 years old.”