Cup Week at Flemington concludes on Saturday, with one of the two features being the Darley Sprint Classic (1200m), where all eyes will be on Everest winner Nature Strip, who is all the rage.
Down below is a speed map, runner preview and $100 betting strategy for the 2021 Darley Sprint Classic.
2021 Darley Sprint Classic Speed Map
Streets Of Avalon and Splintex like to be near the speed but it’s all about Nature Strip, who should have little trouble leading the field up. The two mentioned before will look to get the tag in behind.
2021 Darley Sprint Classic Runner Preview
1. Nature Strip: He just picks himself doesn’t he. World class performance to win The Everest and there is no horse of that quality lining up here. I said in the meeting preview that $1.50 all in was generous and that looks to be the case. Should be a painless watch.
2. Streets Of Avalon: He’s a marvel for Shane Nichols. Didn’t mind the way he found the line in the Manikato against his usual pattern. Suited with the gate, likely stalking Nature Strip and is a first four contender.
3. Splintex: Connections would love to win a Group l for this horse to secure his life post racing. I don’t think it’ll be coming here but a Group l placing behind Nature Strip would look good on the CV.
4. Samizdat: WA sprinter that ran in the Linlithglow last Saturday here and was just okay in a slowly run race. Take out Nature Strip, this is an even race. I wouldn’t be shocked if he snuck a first four spot.
5. September Run: She’s gone. Looked her race last Saturday in the Mares race down the straight. Held up but was out in time to finish the race off better. Best is down the straight, but I think she’s gone.
6. Bella Nipotina: What a ripping mare she is. Looked like she was going to surge hard and win the Manikato last time but had to settle for a narrow second to Jonker. She’s been a revelation since joining Maher/Eustace and think she’ll get another Group l placing.
7. Swats That: She’s in a similar boat to September Run. I think she’s gone. Failed to fire in the Moir/Manikato, then was plain despite every chance last Saturday. She’ll struggle.
8. Shaquero: Should have just about run a placing last Saturday in the Coolmore. He looked to be trucking and was building nicely but got stopped in his tracks. He gets a significant jockey upgrade and a must for exotics.
9: Ranch Hand: Seems to enjoy the straight. Forgive run two back in the Danehill but was good from the back last Saturday in the Coolmore. He looks the ideal Newmarket horse for the Autumn and similar to Shaquero, a must for exotics.
2021 Darley Sprint Classic $100 Betting Strategy:
It’s hard to bet with such a raging favourite so just playing a single, $100 Win on Nature Strip and make $35-$40.
Group l Strategy Outlay: $2670
Group l Strategy Return: $8070.6