The Caulfied Cup is one of the oldest horse races in Australia, with a history that stretches back to 1879. Over the years, this event has been won by some of the very best horses in Australia and around the world, including names like Viewed in 2009, Northerly in 2002, Mannerism in 1992, and Elvstroem in 2004.
The historic results for this race are a very interesting read, with many winners here going on to perform well in other premier events throughout their career. The Caulfield Cup is a good form guide for events like the Wakeful Stakes, Moonee Valley Cup, and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, along with the famous Melbourne Cup.
The winner of the Caulfield Cup might go on to other big races like the Melbourne Cup and Victoria Derby, with the Caulfield Cup/Melbourne Cup double possibly the biggest score in Australian racing. Over the years, some horses have managed to win the Caulfield Cup more than once, with Poseidon the first to perform this feat in 1906 and 1907. Interestingly, Poseidon was also the first horse to win the Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup double.
Other horses who have managed to win the double include The Trump in 1937, Rivette in 1939, Rising Fast in 1954, Even Stevens in 1962, Galilee in 1966, Gurner’s Lane in 1982, Let’s Elope in 1991, Doriemus in 1995, Might and Power in 1997, and Ethereal in 2001. The horses who have managed to win the Caulfield Cup more than once include Rising Fast in 1955 and 1956, Ming Dynasty in 1980 and 1977, Whittier in 1925 and 1922, Uncle Sam in 1914 and 1912, and Paris in 1894 and 1992.
The 2012 edition of the Caulfied Cup was won by Dunaden ahead of Alcopop in second place and Lights Of Heaven in third.
The official Caulfield Cup results cover:
– Caulfield Cup winner – the first horse over the line.
– Caulfield Cup Exacta – the first two horses over the line.
– Caulfield Cup Quinella – the winner and runner-up in either order.
– Caulfield Cup Trifecta – the first three placegetters.
– Caulfield Cup First Four – the first four horses over the line.
– Caulfield Cup Finishing Order – the official results for the entire field.
– Caulfield Cup Scratchings – any horses who were scratched from the race.
– Caulfield Cup Margin – the margin enjoyed by the winner.
– Caulfield Cup Time – the official winning time.